Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Language Barrier to Trade

I've been working on an eBay business at my school for a couple of months now and I think my school is not as supportive anymore. My students don't seem as engaged and the teachers and staff are too busy with their other responsibilities.

It's becoming clear to me that the reasons for this are two-fold: 1) the English language barrier in dealing with eBay policies, e-commerce, and customers is too much to handle, and 2) the school has their own program to work through, which leaves very little time for any other commitments. Therefore, I'm adjusting my strategy to work with interested students on an individual basis where they can learn at their own pace.

However, my test run with the eBay business at the school does spark larger questions within my mind. I openly wonder, how much does the language barrier contribute to opportunity costs within the real Thai economy? Seeing as though the economy is largely dependent upon exports, this makes me think there are probably some real missed chances at increased earnings for people.

No comments: