Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Only In Thailand Can The Customer Be Wrong

"I would like fried rice with beef, please," I politely ask the local restaurant cook. "I'll give you fried rice with pork," she sternly responds as I look at the fresh beef sitting on her counter. Since I've been in country for awhile, I stopped standing up for my customer right to great service (even something as simple as giving me what I ordered).

Apparently, in business in Thailand the customer is not always right. Unfortantely for Thai businesses seeking to grab a share of the lucrative world market, just about every customer globally demands to be treated as if they are right all the time, and will swiftly refuse parting with their hard earned cash with any business who does not agree.

I see this lackluster attitude towards customer service severely handicapping Thai companies looking to business on eBay. I notice whenever negative feedback is posted on their profile they tend to post argumentative replies instead of trying to delicately negotiate with the unhappy customer in private (some customers will remove negative feedback if you cordially offer them alternatives such as discounts, money back, or a free exchange of product).

In a hyper competitive and globalized economy, excellent customer service can be the life blood of a successful business and brand. I'm not sure why some Thai business people prefer to haggle with their customers instead of exhaust every diplomatic possibility to insure a satisfied customer even if it means taking a loss on the deal. Maybe it's cultural. Are there different expectations of customers in Thailand or is good customer service simply not valued? Maybe it's personal character. Are some business people too lazy to provide good service? Maybe it's a poor understanding of the English language. Do business people here want to provide good customer service, but do not know how to express gratitude compentently in English? Maybe it's cross cultural misunderstanding. Does a lack of sufficient knowledge about other people's cultures hinder providing good service the way customers want it?

No comments: